The days are getting shorter, cooler, and grayer. I love this time of year, the sun is shining but the days are crisp and cool. It’s the perfect time of year to start making soup, but I’m not quite ready for the heavy winter soups.
So I decided to make a light tomatoey and lentil* soup.
It worked wonderfully! It was the same day as this, and I really just needed something comforting and delicious. It definitely fits the bill!
- 2 cups puy lentils
- 2 liters chicken stock
- 1 tbspn olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 1 small carrot finely diced
- 2 cups roughly chopped herbs
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tin of crushed tomatoes
- Soak lentils for at least 8 hours.
- Heat oil and lightly fry onion and carrot in soup pot until soft.
- Wash lentil and rinse well, add to soup pot with stock and tomatoes.
- Cook for 45 minutes, until lentils are soft.
- Remove from heat, stir through herbs and lemon juice.
- Serve hot.