I know you’re probably screaming at me, “Clare, it’s only October!” And I hear you I really do. I love me some Christmas cheer but prior to December 1st, I’m the Grinch!
The exception is of course, food. You need time and love to go into your Christmas food. Some need to sit for months and get loving basted in your favourite alcohol.
This cake is one of those. If you get started on it today, there’s just enough time for enough brandy to soak right in to the core of this cake and bring out that Christmas cheer!
- 450 gm currents
- 230 gm raisins
- 230 gm sultanas
- 120 gm peel
- 50 gm glace cherries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brandy/sherry
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 225 gm butter
- 5 eggs
- Soak all the fruit with vanilla extract, spices, and brandy over night.
- The next day, preheat oven to 160*C and grease and line a 20 cm round cake tin. Make sure the lining comes up at least 4 cm higher than the tin.
- Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs one at a time until combined.
- Carefully fold in flour, once combined, fold in fruit.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake at 160*C for 1 hour, then reduce the oven to 140*C and bake for a further 2.5 hours.
- Allow cake to cool completely then use a pastry brush to brush brandy over cooled cake.
- Wrap well first in baking paper and then finally in aluminum foil.
- Unwrap weekly and brush with brandy.
- Cut on Christmas Day and enjoy!