I’ve always loved a citrus dessert, growing up I would hide behind the fridge door and eat lemon butter out of the jar with a spoon. The sour lemon flavour made mouth water and my lips pucker. A feeling I would often crave, so I’d go back for more.
Even now I crave that tart-sweetness and bake up a lime flavoured dessert. This lime curd is perfect, and I look forward to adding it to ice cream in summer, into a lime delicious pudding or even on the top of a plain sugar cookie.
What’s your favourite type of dessert?
- 4 eggs yolks
- 2/3 cups of caster sugar
- 1/4 cup lime/lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chopped into 1 cm cubes
- Put 2 cm of water in the bottom of a sauce-pan and bring to simmer over low heat.
- In a medium heat proof bowl whisk eggs yolks and sugar together for about 2 mins, until smooth. Whisk in juice and zest until combined.
- Place bowl over sauce pan and stir constantly with plastic spatula until it thickens, this will take approx 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add a couple of chunks of butter at a time, wait until almost melted before adding the next.
- Spoon into clean glass containers and cover with cling wrap.