My inner monologue on the way home from work. We had guests coming, and Indian take away was already planned. But I can never pass up the opportunity to cook a dessert. My tried and true, old faithful dessert chocolate pudding, wasn’t going to cut it. I wanted to get my Indian cook on!
Creamy butter chicken, dahl makhani, and soft and tender lamb rogan josh, with rice, roti and naan was for main. Straight out of the take away containers strewn across the table. The was scatterings of rice, flakes of bread and drips of curry sauces all over our dining table. The food was devoured quickly, remnants of sauce was all the remained.
I served up dessert in my grandmother’s desserts bowls (a gift to her on her wedding day), and spooned it out hesitantly. The sweet, milky balls had been soaking in the sugar syrup for over an hour, the flavours had permeated through the hard fried outer.
What can you never pass up the opportunity to do?
Please click here to take survey to help me learn more about you!
- Sugar Syrup
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp rose water
- Gulab Jamun
- 1 cup full cream milk powder
- 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 1/4 tsp bi-carb soda
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 25gm butter
- 1/3 cup water
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- Combine water, sugar, cinnamon in a saucepan. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly. Stir in rosewater. Cool slightly.
- Combine the milk powder, flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground cardamom in a bowl. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients. Add enough of the water to make a soft sticky dough (add more water if necessary). Shape heaped teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls.
- Heat oil in a large wok (to test temperature I put a wooden spoon handle in the oil, if it has little bubbles all around it, then it’s ready). Reduce heat to low. Cook the balls, turning occasionally, for 2 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towel.
- Put all balls into a deep dish and cover with sugar syrup. All to sit for at least 30 mins.