J is an active guy, he’s always out and about. When we lived in Mount Beauty last year, he would go out nearly every day for a mountain bike ride. Here, there’s no mountains, it’s a 45 minute drive to the closest mountain bike riding area, so he bought a sea kayak.
He loves this thing. He’ll pack all of the paraphernalia up onto his car, and drive down the beach and paddle for a couple of hours.
Recently he’s discovered the unlimited supply of mussels that have attached themselves to the bottom of the jetty. So if he paddles at low tide, he’ll collect a kilo or so for dinner.
Last week he created this amazing white wine sauce to cook with the mussels and we had delicious fresh cooked cheese and chive bread from our local bakery.
- 2 kg mussels
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 black pepper corns
- 2 slices of lemon
- 1/2 a bottle of wine
- Clean and de-beard the mussels.
- In a heavy bottom pan fry onion, carrots, celery for a couple of minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, bring to the boil.
- Add the clean mussels and cook until the mussels are open.
- Serve with some fresh bread.
Do you collect any of your own food? Do you love the idea of hunting and gathering your own food instead of buying it?